45minutes cooking time
- 175 g (6 oz) rolled oats
- 70 g (2 1/2 oz) coarsely chopped pecansÂ
- 20 g (3/4 oz) shredded/desiccated coconut
- 1/4 tsp saltÂ
- 120 g (41/2 oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 25 g (1 oz) cranberries
- 25 g (1 oz) raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 150ÂºC/300ÂºF/Gas 2.Â
- Put the oats, nuts, coconut, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk the oil and syrup together in a jug or small bowl.
- Pour over the oats and mix well.
- Spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 40â45 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in the raisins and leave to cool.Â
Wholegrain cereals are a good source of iron. However, it is difficult for our bodies to absorb iron from a non-meat source (red meat provides the most easily absorbed form of iron). To improve the absorption of iron from breakfast cereal you will need to give your child vitamin-C rich fruit, like kiwi or berry fruits, or vitamin-C rich juice, like orange or cranberry juice.
Annabel Karmel MBE
A mother of three, Annabel Karmel is the UK's number 1 parenting author. She is an expert in devising tasty & nutritious meals for children without the need for parents to spend hours in the kitchen.
Annabel was awarded an MBE in June 2006 in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition and in 2009 Annabel won the Mother and Baby's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Lovely Lentils Baby Puree
A new autumn inspired baby puree from Annabel Karmel
Yummy Salmon and Rice Salad
A lovely summery dish perfect for picnics.
Cod with Salsa
Step into Spring with this lovely fresh tasting recipe from Annabel Karmel
Porridge with Apple, Pear and Apricot Baby Puree
This makes a nutritious breakfast. Make up portions of the fruit puree and freezes. Then you can thaw them overnight, ready to mix with your baby porridge in the morning. As your baby gets older you can simply stir in rather than puree.
Go Ape Competition
Join the Adventure - Imagine going into school and telling your class you have just won them ALL a trip to Go Ape! What a great treat for 2017 that would be. We have teamed up with the lovely people over at award winning Go Ape to give 4 classes the chance of winning a class trip to a Go Ape venue. Live Life more adventuously - our challenge to you
Write for Raring2go!
Do you want to have your voice heard, do you have something to say, be it funny, serious or helpful hints and tips? We love having contributors articles and blogs online. If you think Raring2go! is the right place for your work to be seen we would love to hear from you. You can read more about what we are looking for in our article by clicking here