Cheesy Cottage Pie
50minutes cooking time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small stick celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 200g minced beef
- 2 tbsp flour
- 350 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 500g King Edward potatoes, peeled and diced or use 350g potatoes and 150g carrot
- A knob of butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C Fan.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, celery and carrot and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown over the heat.
- Add the flour, then blend in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree and thyme.
- Cover with a lid, then simmer for 35 minutes. Season to taste.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain, mash and add the milk, butter and Cheddar cheese.
- You can add seasoning to the meat and potato for babies over one.
- Divide the beef mixture between four ramekins. Top with the mash.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.. Ã
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Oat and Raisin Cookies
These make a tasty and nutritious snack any time of the day
This delicious granola is very versatile. You can have it for breakfast with milk. This Christmas recipe is also very good on its own as a snack or layered with yoghurt, honey and fruit.
Beefy Sausage Roll
Sausage rolls make great picnic and party finger foods as they are ready-wrapped in pastry. To add a slight twist I like to use beef, but minced pork would also be good.
Cranberry and White Chocolate Cookies
Instead of giving baked cookies as a gift for Christmas, why not give the recipe for one of your favourite cookies and then layer all the ingredients in a glass jar and tie a ribbon around it. All of the ingredients for these cookies are in the jar apart from the butter and they are very quick and easy to make.
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!