Beefy Sausage Roll
23minutes cooking time
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, choppedÂ
- ¼ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed
- 110 g (4 oz) minced beef
- 1 ½ Â tbsp tomato chutneyÂ
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 225 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastryÂ
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- salt and pepper, to seasonÂ
- Put the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the thyme and set aside.
- Put the bread in a food processor and whiz to crumbs.
- Add the onion, beef, chutney and Parmesan plus salt and pepper, and whiz again to combine.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Roll out the pastry into two rectangles 12 cm x 18 cm (5 in x 7 in) and about 2 mm (1/16 in) thick.
- Halve the meat mixture and roll into two sausages each 18 cm (7 in) long.
- Put one in the centre of each piece of pastry and brush the edges of the pastry with egg.
- Fold the edges over to enclose the meat.
- Â Cut each roll into four with a sharp knife (wipe knife between each cut) and put the rolls on to a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush the rolls with egg and cut two small slits in the top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 16â18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Use a fish slice or palette knife to transfer the rolls to a cooling rack.
- Most delicious when served warm, but can be served cold.
The rolls will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Can be reheated gently in an oven pre-heated to 100ÂºC /215ÂºF /Gas 1/4/Fan 80ÂºC for 8â10 minutes.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children’s cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago – a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world’s top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children’s food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK’s leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Chocolate Christmas Trees
Leading children’s cookery author and food expert Annabel Karmel shares some of her favourite Christmas creations with Raring2go! – do dig out those aprons and cook up some festive spirit in your kitchen.
Getting kids cooking in the kitchen is a great way of developing their skills and understanding of where different foods come from. And the festive season is the perfect time to cook-up some twinkling treats for everyone to enjoy.
Yummy Salmon and Rice Salad
A lovely summery, fish dish perfect for picnics...
Let your party girls create their own jewelled cupcakes, topped with a swirl of icing and a variety of ‘gems’. You could use ready-made buttercream instead of the Cream Cheese Icing, if you prefer.
hosting a Haunted House Party
Raise money for the British Heart Foundation whilst having a fang-tastic time! Entertain your guest by playing ghostly games and dancing to mysterious music. Why not wow your guests with these healthy and tasty spooky snacks? If you would like to do some freaky face paints then watch these step by step video tutorials. Fri 27th-31st Oct
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!