Beefy Sausage Roll
23minutes cooking time
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, choppedÃ
- ¼ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed
- 110 g (4 oz) minced beef
- 1 ½ Ã tbsp tomato chutneyÃ
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 225 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastryÃ
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- salt and pepper, to seasonÃ
- Put the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the thyme and set aside.
- Put the bread in a food processor and whiz to crumbs.
- Add the onion, beef, chutney and Parmesan plus salt and pepper, and whiz again to combine.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Roll out the pastry into two rectangles 12 cm x 18 cm (5 in x 7 in) and about 2 mm (1/16 in) thick.
- Halve the meat mixture and roll into two sausages each 18 cm (7 in) long.
- Put one in the centre of each piece of pastry and brush the edges of the pastry with egg.
- Fold the edges over to enclose the meat.
- Ã Cut each roll into four with a sharp knife (wipe knife between each cut) and put the rolls on to a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush the rolls with egg and cut two small slits in the top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 16Ã¢-18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Use a fish slice or palette knife to transfer the rolls to a cooling rack.
- Most delicious when served warm, but can be served cold.
The rolls will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Can be reheated gently in an oven pre-heated to 100ÃºC /215ÃºF /Gas 1/4/Fan 80ÃºC for 8Ã¢-10 minutes.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Stained Glass Window Biscuits
These novelty cookies are fun to make with children. They particularly enjoy crushing the sweets and using cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
Apple and Almond Cake
Delicious Apple and Almond Cake from Annabel Karmel
Chicken Caesar Salad
A tasty recipe to make lunch boxes more interesting for your little ones! The croutons and dressing for this salad can be made the night before. All you need to do in the morning is mix up the ingredients and toss with the dressing. You can even use ready made croutons.
Cod with Salsa
Step into Spring with this lovely fresh tasting recipe
Join Explore Learning and save £50
Since 2001 over 200,000 children have excelled academically, reached their potential and achieved the best possible results with Explore Learning. Mapped to the school curriculum, we ensure children progress academically and develop socially, changing their attitude towards learning.
Win with Raring2go!
Everyone likes to receive goodies in the post don't they?! With our regular competitions you are always in with a great chance of winning (as long as you enter of course!) Head on over to our competitions page and see what is on offer this month-you need to be a member, but that's free and easy to do! Go on, what are you waiting for?! Get winning!