Beefy Sausage Roll
23minutes cooking time
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, choppedÃ
- ¼ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed
- 110 g (4 oz) minced beef
- 1 ½ Ã tbsp tomato chutneyÃ
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 225 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastryÃ
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- salt and pepper, to seasonÃ
- Put the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the thyme and set aside.
- Put the bread in a food processor and whiz to crumbs.
- Add the onion, beef, chutney and Parmesan plus salt and pepper, and whiz again to combine.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Roll out the pastry into two rectangles 12 cm x 18 cm (5 in x 7 in) and about 2 mm (1/16 in) thick.
- Halve the meat mixture and roll into two sausages each 18 cm (7 in) long.
- Put one in the centre of each piece of pastry and brush the edges of the pastry with egg.
- Fold the edges over to enclose the meat.
- Ã Cut each roll into four with a sharp knife (wipe knife between each cut) and put the rolls on to a baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush the rolls with egg and cut two small slits in the top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 16Ã¢-18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- Use a fish slice or palette knife to transfer the rolls to a cooling rack.
- Most delicious when served warm, but can be served cold.
The rolls will keep in the fridge for up to 2 days. Can be reheated gently in an oven pre-heated to 100ÃºC /215ÃºF /Gas 1/4/Fan 80ÃºC for 8Ã¢-10 minutes.
Annabel Karmel MBE
Mother of three Annabel Karmel continues to reign as the UK's No.1 children's cookery author, best-selling international author, and a leading expert on devising delicious, nutritious meals for babies, children and families.
Since launching with The Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner 25 years ago â a book which has become the 2nd best-selling non-fiction hardback of all time - Annabel has written 43 books selling over four million copies worldwide.
Coupled with a vast digital following, recipe apps, cookbook-inspired supermarket food ranges and menus in some of the world's top leisure resorts and hotels, Annabel has become a leading pillar for parents who want to give their growing family the very best start in life. Because of this she was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours for her outstanding work in the field of child nutrition in 2006.
Whilst remaining a regular media commentator on children's food issues, Annabel is recognised as one of the UK's leading female entrepreneurs, becoming an inspirational role model for other rising stars, business start-ups, women in business and parents returning to work.
Almond Milk Porridge with Berries
The king of all breakfasts! A great start to the day...
Yummy Salmon and Rice Salad
A lovely summery, fish dish perfect for picnics...
Chocolate Christmas Trees
Leading children’s cookery author and food expert Annabel Karmel shares some of her favourite Christmas creations with Raring2go! – do dig out those aprons and cook up some festive spirit in your kitchen.
Porridge with Apple, Pear and Apricot Baby Puree
This makes a nutritious breakfast. Make up portions of the fruit puree and freezes. Then you can thaw them overnight, ready to mix with your baby porridge in the morning. As your baby gets older you can simply stir in rather than puree.
If you are looking for ideas to keep the children busy throughout the Christmas holidays, or the kids want some ideas and inspiration for cards and gifts them take a look at our Winter KidsZone. Jam packed full of fun ideas that everyone can get involved in! Activities for indoors and out - some are messy, some are not! What are you waiting for?!?!
We all know that the festive period is a time for giving, spending time as a family and for over indulging, and we are here to help! Our Christmas recipe section has lots of tasty treats to satisfy the sweet and savoury cravings of the whole family. Get busy in the kitchen with the kids and enjoy some delicious food together this Christmas.