How would you like to win over £200 worth of books for your school and have your work displayed in a special exhibition!!
Raring2go! Burton and Ashby has teamed up with H&H Spalding Books, Hoo's Writing Corner and The Brewhouse Arts Centre, to launch its Letter Writing Competition.
Open to all Primary and Junior-age children, the competition tasks entrants to write a simple letter to a local care home, telling the elderly residents all about their lives. The best letter will be picked based on its creativity by Gemma Callaghan from Hoo's Writing Corner, and the book bundle courtesy of Barton-based H&H Spalding Books will be delivered straight to the winner's school! A selection of letters, picked by Alice Johnson, will also be displayed in a special community exhibition at The Brewhouse Arts Centre in Burton-on-Trent, and FIVE letters of merit will receive a complimentary family ticket to a Brewhouse show (online or in-person show to be confirmed).
The winning school will also win a Raring2go! bundle of goodies including a hot drinks travel cup, pencils and stationary set.
There will also be two runner's ups, picked by Alice, the Editor of Raring2go! Burton & Ashby, who will each win a mini bundle of books! After the competition closes on 4th MAY 2021, the winning letters will be published in the Summer edition of Raring2go! Magazine, which is published in June.
For more information on how to enter, top tips on writing a letter and for a pdf letter-writing template, please scroll down.
Letter writing tips for students:
Top tip from Gemma at Hoo's Writing Corner: "My number one top tip for writing is, enjoy what you write, have a passion for it and the words will come to you. Write a letter that you would enjoy reading, and you’ll probably find that others will want to read it as well. Have fun!"
Why not tell your letter recipient all about your life!
- What are your favourite foods?
- What is your favourite book and why?
- Which characters in the book do you like?
- How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- What is your favourite activity, e.g. riding a bike, going for walks, playing games.
- What is your favourite school subject?
Competition Information for schools:
- Closing date: Tuesday 4th May 2021, 8pm. Winners will be picked after this date, and published in the Summer edition of Raring2go! Magazine, Burton & Ashby.
- Please ensure all entries are marked with the name of the pupil, their age and their school.
- Children's names won't be published without parental permission.
- Letters should be no more than 300 words, no less than 40.
- Scan or take a photo of your letters and email them to Alice Johnson, Editor: firstname.lastname@example.org or send them via Facebook messenger: www.facebook.com/Raring2goBurtonandAshby
- The best entry will be picked by Hoo's Writing Corner: https://hooswritingcorner.com
- The book bundle has been donated by H&H Spalding Books, Barton-under-Needwood, who will deliver direct to the winning school. http://spaldingbooks.co.uk
- Two runner's up will receive a mini-bundle of books (3 books each), courtesy of Raring2go! Burton and Ashby. www.raring2go.co.uk/Burton-and-ashby
- The competition is open to all primary and junior school-age children.
- Winners will be picked based on the merit of their creativity.
- About H&H Spalding Books: H&H Spalding Books is a family-run, independent bookshop that has been providing high-quality books to schools and the public for more than 40 years. 60 Main Street, Barton-under-Needwood, Staffordshire, DE13 8AA. Tel: 01283 712220 Fax: 01283 716545. Email: email@example.com Follow us on twitter @SpaldingBooks Follow us on Instagram @spalding.books.
- About The Brewhouse Arts Centre: Based in the heart of Burton-on-Trent, The Brewhouse Arts Centre is a community arts hub showcasing local theatre, arts, crafts and music. www.brewhouse.co.uk
Alice is Editor of Raring2go! magazine for Burton and Ashby in the Midlands. She is a former journalist and freelance writer and has two young daughters.