Celebrating Apollo’s 50th Anniversary
On the 20th 2019 NASA will be celebrating 50 years since the Eagle Lander touched down on the moon. Below we have compiled a list of venues in the UK that you can take your children to to find out more about space.
- Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon.
- Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin (19 minutes after Neil Armstrong), both American, landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969
- The men spent 21 ½ hours on the moon collecting lunar material to bring back to Earth
- Neil Armstrong carried a piece of wood from the Wright Brothers plane with him
They left pictures of humans and voice recordings on the moon
To celebrate get the children out to visit a local space exhibition…
- The Science Museum, London - Apollo 11 First Steps
- Thinktank Planetarium, Birmingham Science Museum - Destination Space Moon Show and Destination Space the Moon
- Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, Macclesfield - Moon Landing 50th
- National Space Centre, Leicester - Apollo 10 the team who got us to the moon
- Glasgow Science Centre
- Star Centre, Keighley, West Yorkshire - Imax Apollo 11 First Steps
- Winchester Science Centre - Destination Space Apollo
- We The Curious, Bristol - Apollo 11 Campervan returns to Milennium Square
- Dark Sky Discovery - Dark Sky Discovery Sites
- Techniquest, Cardiff
- The Observatory Science Centre, Hailsham - Moon Landing Anniversary
- Southend Planetarium, Southend on Sea
- Liverpool Planetarium, World Museum - Planetarium
- Royal Observatory - Moon Exhibition
- Island Planetarium - From Earth to the Universe
- Spaceport Wirral
- Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire - Sir Isaac Newtons home, a National Trust venue. Global Rocket Launch and Space Race Rocket Workshops
- Life Science Centre, Newcastle Upon Tyne - Museum of the Moon
- The Spaceguard Centre, Knighton, Powys - Space Guard Centre
- New Scientist Live 10-13 oct 2019 - Line Up Space scientist Maggie Aderin-Pocock on the past, present and future of the moon
- Moon Festival - Moon Festival for the parents
Get your kids active for free this summer
Get your kids active for free this summer with the 10 Minute Shake Up games...
Firework Safety code for adults and children-be safe this November...
Dame Vera Lynn Children’s Charity
the Dame Vera Lynn Children’s Charity (DVLCC) has been supporting families since 2001.
Walk to School
Living Streets has been campaigning for better places to walk for 90 years for everyone.
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Why seize the summer?
Explore Learning believe progress shouldn’t stop at the end of term, and research shows it shouldn’t either.
71% of parents think their children’s abilities drop by the time the new school year starts. We’ve developed a jam-packed summer programme of workshops to give your child the best start to the new school year. Save £50 this summer–why wait?