Magic Reindeer Food
Magic Reindeer Food Recipe
Guide Rudolph and his team this Christmas Eve with some magical reindeer food. Sprinkle the mix of oats and other delights in the garden - the glimmer in the moonlight will light the way for Santa and his sleigh and the reindeer will have something to eat after all their hard work! (taking out glitter, sequins and even edible glitter means that any food left by the reindeers will not be harmful to other wildlife in your garden.
- 1/2 cup porridge oats
- Dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins
- Chilli powder - just a hint!
- You will need some granulated sugar and some different coloured liquid food colouring.
- Place the sugar in a small bowl and add several drops of food colouring (add more depending on how bright you want the result to be).
- Stir well with a fork until all the sugar is coloured.Allow the coloured sugar to dry and then seal in an air tight container.
- Mix oats and glitter in a small bowl until combined.
- Spoon into a snack-size ziplock bag and seal carefully.
- Make a label and attach to bag of oats and glitter using a stapler.
On Christmas Eve, sprinkle your Magic reindeer food outside while reciting the special poem (print it on the label.)
Then snuggle down in bed and listen out for sleigh bells!
RSPCA are urging people to make this safe version of reindeer food as even edible glitter can be harmful to wildlife.
If Christmas Eve is damp, sprinkle your Magic reindeer food on grass, not a pathway or paved area as the rain could turn your oat mix into porridge!
Salt Dough Christmas Decorations
A little baking, a little painting and voila - a Christmas garland handmade by the children
Some great craft activities for this Christmas...
Five Fun Indoor Activities for Kids
Children often have plenty of messy play ideas for outside in the mud and rain, but the challenge lies in encouraging them to be creative and use their imagination for activities they can play inside too...
Build Your Own Bird Feeder
Take a look at the instructions from Sainsbury’s Bank - Money Matters on making your own bird feeder
Delve into Durham
Delve into Durham's amazing history with a break in 2018 and see the past come to life at award winning attractions and events. Don't miss the Bodies of Evidence exhibition at Palace Green Library or visit the majestic Durham Cathedral. Take a tour of Medieval Raby Castle, or visit the magnificent Bowes Museum. You could even take a tram ride!
Pets at Home
Head down to your local Pets at Home store during the summer holidays for a fantastic My Pet Pals activity workshop! Our My Pet Pals workshops help to teach children how rewarding pets can be and how to care for them responsibly. There's a truly hands-on approach to pet care, as well as loads of goodies..and the best bit is, it's all FREE! Book now