Our Back to School 'Must Haves'
Well I am not sure how it happened but Reception year is over! I feel like I just blinked.
For a couple of months now the school uniforms have been up for sale in shops and I know I need to get organised, but September seems so long away, and I don't want to wish the holidays away (I am sure I will half way through the holiday). I am a list person, it helps me feel organised, even if the reality is that the list just gets longer rather than shorter. So thinking 'back to school' and lists, here is my must haves for 'back to school'.
- Water bottle – some schools sell bottles at a really good price so check with them. (my daughter has gone through 3 or 4 bottles this year so I am going to try this one and hope it withstands her! This super functional bottle from Smiggle looks great, has a squeezable body, flip top spout and carry strap)
- Bottle Buddi-we recently came across them and think they are AMAZING! No more having to carry (and inevitably dropping) the water bottle on the school run. They do them in loads of colours to match book bags too!
- Labels – We were really lucky last year and didn’t lose any items of clothing (just tempted fate!) I used sew in labels but there are other options like iron on, stick on or just a fabric pen.
- Sun hat – essential for about 1 week of the year I know but still needed. Caps or caps with a neck cover are great-they stay on and the neck cover give added protection and peace of mind when you are not around to add extra suncream.
- PE kit
- Shoes-Start-rite have a great selection, we have managed a whole year with only one pair of Start-rite shoes ao will definitely be sticking with them next year.
- Waterproof jacket
- Book bag-usually specific to each school.
- Lunch Bag-if you child doesn't have a cooked meal then this is a must-always remember to add an ice block too!
- Pencil case-we love this one from Smiggle
- Pencil Sharpener
- Calculator, if allowed
- Maths set-a great set from Helix-in a choice of pink or blue.
- Ringbinders or other folders
- USB-drive-I love these from My Doodles-cute and practical!
- Notebook-not essential but if your child is like mine they will be forever writing notes to friends and doing doodles.
- Timestable Slapband (I think I may need one of these for myself!) Slap the band on your wrist and you can have this handy tool with you all the time. Available in other colours from Smiggle.
- Rucksack – some infant schools don’t like rucksacks as children don’t need much and they take up too much room in the cloakrooms. If your children are allowed them, there are some great ones HERE
- Diary for mum-life will be full of parties, clubs and play dates for the rest of the year! These have great reviews, or if you prefer a wallplanner these are fab for planning for the whole family.
I know that all schools have different requirements for uniform and equipment needed so make sure you check any list given. As your children get older they will need/want more and more stationery (I used to love doing my 'back to school' shop when I was at school)
Top ten tips on settling your child into nursery
Are you looking at finding a nursery for your child when you head back to work? Are you looking to introduce your child to being cared for by someone other than yourself? Take a look at our article written by mum of two Penny Shevyn.
Tips for Separation Anxiety at Nursery
Signs of separation anxiety and tips for dealing with it in children starting nursery.
World Maths Day - 1st March 2017
Former teacher and creator of Maths Rockx, Jo Otto, shares her advice on how to get kids to love learning again...
Finding childcare for children with special needs
A recent survey by the Family and Childcare Trust revealed that only 15 per cent of councils in England have enough childcare for disabled children...
With Father's Day coming up this month we should celebrate the special 'Dad' figures in our lives...in our article we have given you a few ideas for days out and activities that you and your Dad can do together to have fun and build a great relationship - spoil him and make memories for you all as a family! Click here to find out more...
Over the weekends and holidays there are always times when your children need some chill out time, or to fill an hour or so, or they say the dreaded 5 letter word - BORED! Well, our KidsZone is here to rescue you and them from these moments. Full of puzzles, colouring in sheets and activities from films and programmes there is lots to keep busy!