35-40minutes cooking time
- 300g grated carrots
- 200g sultanas
- 1x 200g tin pineapple, drained and chopped
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g plain flour, sieved
- ¼ tsp salt
- 400g caster sugar
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 4 unbeaten eggs
- 1 tub of mascarpone cheese
- Grated zest and juice from 1 orange
- Sugar to taste
- Segmented fresh orange
- Place all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined tin and bake at 160°C for 35-40 minutes.
- Test with a skewer to check if cooked. The skewer must be dry and clean when drawn out of the mix.
- Whisk up mascarpone cheese with orange juice and zest and sweeten to taste.
- The finished cake is very moist.
- It's delicious served warm with the mascarpone cream and fresh orange segments.
The outstanding Elmscot Group of Day Nurseries and Kids Collective out-of-school Clubs in Altrincham, Hale, Bowdon, Sale and Timperley, run by two local mums, has just launched its second cookbook called Children's Mealtime Favourites'.
The Group is well known for its emphasis on excellent early years nutrition and the quality of the food they source, each setting winning several awards including Trafford's Healthy Setting Award' (based on the national Healthy School Award), several sector awards over the years for best nursery food and nursery chef and most recently the Soil Association's Food For Life Award' in 2016.
Updating the first cookbook, originally published 4 years ago, came about as a result of parents asking for the recipes of their children's favourite meals and on-going improvements to the recipes to reduce salt and sugar and enhance nutritional value.