Packed lunches can be healthy and fun
Packed lunches can be healthy and fun
Finding inspiration to make interesting and healthy packed lunches every day can seem like hard work sometimes! As tempting as it may feel to include prepacked, processed junk food, this means your children will not get enough vital vitamins and minerals. Packed lunches can be healthy and fun at the same time without meaning crisps and chocolate every day. So, here are a few ideas to make packed lunches (and picnics) a more enjoyable experience for you and your children.
Try to include carbohydrates, protein, dairy, vegetables and fruit in your child’s lunch everyday
· Make sandwiches fun by cutting them into shapes
· Draw silly faces on apples, pears or satsumas with edible ink pens.
· At weekends get your children to help you cook things to put in their lunches. Not only is this fun and allows children to be creative it also teaches them where food comes from. Visit https://raring2go.co.uk/eat--shop/recipes for inspiration
· Let your children help you pack their lunches the night before. Helping you to not have to panic in the morning and giving your children (limited!) choices will help everyone!
· Presenting food nicely encourages children to try it. Put food in separate containers or bags sealed with stickers of their favourite characters.
· Small portions of a variety of food seem to make meal times more palatable for children.
· Use leftovers for filling sandwiches, pasties, bagels or pitas. That left over chicken and stuffing from your Sunday dinner makes a great filling.
· Small portions of rice, couscous or pasta dishes are a nice change from sandwiches every day.
Other ideas for lunch fillers are:
· Fruit jelly made with real pieces of fruit (avoid acidic fruit such as pineapple because the jelly won’t set.)
· Plain/Greek yoghurt (try adding fruit or fruit puree), rice pudding or custard, rice cakes, popcorn
· Hardboiled egg, mini sausages, scotch egg, sausage roll, falafel, savoury flapjack, slices of Spanish omelette
· Salad bites, breadsticks and dips such as hummus.
WIN – A packed lunch package
Our lovely friends over at http://www.eatwell-uk.co.uk have put together a fabulous prize worth £42 (RRP) to help ensure your child’s packed lunch will never be boring again!
The packed lunch package includes:
1 x Yumbox - Designed to be nutritionally balanced, to help with portion control and to be leak-proof [IMAGE]
1 x Lunch Punch set - A fun lunch with minimum waste. [IMAGE]
1 x Lunchbox Love set - The award winning Lunchbox Love notes are a fun and unique way to remind your special little person you are thinking of them every day.
To enter visit www.raring2go.co.uk/altrincham-and-sale/competitions Full terms and conditions can be found at www.raring2go.co.uk/competitions. Closing date 14.10.16.
Introducing celebrity chef Annabel Karmel
Top Tips on Eggs for Pregnant Women and Young Children
British Lion eggs has teamed up with Annabel Karmel MBE, mum of three and the UK's best-selling author on baby and children's food and nutrition, and Dr Carrie Ruxton, dietitian and mum of two, to help dispel some of the myths surrounding eggs
Annabel Karmel Introduces Quick and Easy Cookbook Series for Busy Families
Annabel Karmel launches a new series of handy handbag-sized recipe books to inspire mums on the supermarket run.
Ideas for Healthy Eating with your Children
As a child I was a VERY fussy eater and I don’t want my children to follow in my footsteps. What tips can we try to make it less stressful for all?
hosting a Haunted House Party
Raise money for the British Heart Foundation whilst having a fang-tastic time! Entertain your guest by playing ghostly games and dancing to mysterious music. Why not wow your guests with these healthy and tasty spooky snacks? If you would like to do some freaky face paints then watch these step by step video tutorials. Fri 27th-31st Oct
Halloween is the perfect time of year to get creative in the kitchen and making food scarily fun! Whether you want to jazz up a slice of cheese on toast or go full out for a party with spooky drinks and disgusting nibbles we have some great Halloween recipes for you right here. The kids will love getting involved - or have a surprise goulish meal!!