15minutes cooking time
- 100g unsalted butter, cubed
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1t mixed spice (or vanilla extract)
- 175g plain flour
- 1 large egg, yolk separated
- Coloured ribbons tied into tiny bows
- 125g icing sugar mixed with 1-2T water
- 30g white chocolate buttons
- You can replace the mixed spice with vanilla if you prefer.
- Read the whole recipe through before starting.
- The biscuits will keep, undecorated, in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Separate the egg into bowls before adding the yolk into the mix so you get shell or egg white into the biscuits.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a food processor with the mixed spice (or vanilla extract). Whizz to combine. Add the flour and egg yolk and whizz again until it forms a ball. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and kneed the dough for a couple of minutes until smooth. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, fan 160oC, gas 4.
- Roll out the dough using a floured rolling pin on a lightly floured surface. Use a bunny cutter to stamp out the shapes or cut around a template with a knife.
- Carefully lift the biscuits onto a lined baking sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes until they are firm and pale golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then use a palette knife to transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing: put the icing sugar into a bowl and gradually beat in the water until it’s a slightly runny consistency. Spoon into a piping bag with a tiny, plain nozzle.
- For the decoration: pipe the eyes and a blob of icing where the tail should be and secure the white chocolate button in place, and another blob at the neck and secure the ribbon bow.
Our Aberdeen Editor, Victoria’s daughter Natasha has been baking with Alison, our star administrator, for several years once a week after school. Alison has fostered a love of all things baking in Natasha (now 13) and together they have been making some delicious creations. They will be sharing a recipe, along with their top tips for a show stopper bake with you each month. We hope you enjoy making these as much as they do – and eating them as much as we do!
This month they have been making Spicy Easter Bunny biscuits – easy to make and easy to enjoy!