Mother's Day Piñata Cupcakes
20-25minutes cooking time
- 88g unsalted butter
- 87g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50ml milk
- Multi-coloured star sprinkles
- Silver crisp pearl balls
- Pink and purple hundreds and thousands
- 112g unsalted butter
- 113g margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 375g icing sugar
- 25g white chocolate melted
- Piping bags and nozzle (plain)
- Measuring spoons
- Cupcake Cases and Tray
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180oc, fan 160oc. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, then beat the eggs, one by one, each with a spoon full of flour, until smooth.
- Fold in the remaining flour, then stir in the milk until combined.
- Divide between the cases.
- Bake for 20-25 mins, until risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the butter cream, beat the butter in a bowl until pale and creamy, then add the vanilla. Add the icing sugar in 3 stages, beating between each addition, until fully combined. Stir in the melted white chocolate.
- Leaving the bases intact, use a teaspoon to remove a little of the sponge from the middle of each cake. Mix the sprinkles, then spoon about 1 teaspoon into each hole.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a round (1 cm) nozzle and pipe a swirl onto each cupcake. Decorate with more of the sprinkle mixture.
Our Aberdeen Editor, Victoria’s daughter Natasha has been baking with Alison, our star administrator, for several years once a week after school. Alison has fostered a love of all things baking in Natasha (now 13) and together they have been making some delicious creations. They will be sharing a recipe, along with their top tips for a show stopper bake with you each month. We hope you enjoy making these as much as they do – and eating them as much as we do!
A nod to St Patrick's Day, a delicious Guinness cake!
Blackberry and Apple Loaf
A lovely autumn loaf cake to enjoy with a cup of tea!
Try these tasty rainbow cookies with the children-loads of fun in making and eating!
Royal icing sets hard and is a great way to decorate biscuits.
20% OFF PERSONALISED SCHOOL LABELS
School is about your kids losing themselves in learning; not about losing their supplies.
With Stuck On You, you can ensure nothing ever goes missing again—from clothes and shoes through to drink bottles and lunchboxes. For a limited time, take 20% off the entire range of Stuck On You labels!
Try the multi‑award winning online reading programme for ages 2–13. Designed by expert educators, it's the proven way to help your child learn to read and prepare for school while having fun.
Reading Eggs makes learning to read easy and fun for young kids — and it really works!